Thread: Arafat's dead.
View Single Post
Old 2004-11-15, 02:07   Link #66
Enron
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thMethuselah
I stand corrected
I base my knowledge on news from several sources (tv internet and newspapers) but I've never really been there so I was unaware that it is evolving into a totalitarian state.

There is one thing you should remember about the UN Peacekeepers.
1. UN Peacekeepers can only be sent if the nation it's being sent to agrees to recieve them!
2. about massive deployment UN Peacekeepers usually have no more that a few 1000 men, the reason is simple: they are there to assist conversion to a new situation not to take control of it.

At the time of the Rwanda Genocide, Belgium had troops present but the days before the genocide 10 belgian marines got murdered by the masses. Now, understand that our country had never lost a single soldier, so this was extremely shocking to our nation, as a result the people , who supported the deployment at first, demanded the troops to be pulled out.

I agree that the UN at the time should have intervened, many errors have been made there, but remember a few 1000 soldiers can't stop mobs of hundred of thousands.

My apologies about the off-topic post...
Well, his point was "WHERE WERE THE AMERICANS" ..... I responded with "WHERE WAS THE REST OF THE WORLD", and he said that OTHER UN Nations sent peacekeepers, they cared where the Americans didn't. Unfortunately, he forgot to mention that the UN "cared" so much that the force they sent was barely large enough to hold a soccer match.

If the rest of the world doesn't care, they have NO RIGHT to criticize the United States for not intervening as well.
Enron is offline   Reply With Quote