View Single Post
Old 2014-03-17, 00:21   Link #48
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
I'm a bit older than you, and I can understand the 8th grade syndrome-- at least, I can understand wanting to pretend and have fun. I play tabletop RPGs myself. However, I can't understand people actually believing they have magic powers like the people in this anime seem to, especially when it doesn't even give a hint of them knowing that they're just pretending. It treats the characters like they really believe in this stuff and that it's perfectly ok to be insane. I guess there's supposed to be some message in there about accepting people for who they are, but it's just unhealthy to live like that all the time. You can accept that someone is alcoholic, but it doesn't mean they don't need help. And just like alcoholism, this can really affect their lives as long as they refuse to face reality and realize it's just pretend.

They don't have to stop having fun with it, but they can't live like this forever, which seems to be what Rikka is trying to do.

Then again, there's plenty of crazy people in real life who believe they have magic powers and can cast spells on people through rituals or religious nuts who think faith healing will save their kid from cancer. I like to believe they are the outliers, though, and that most people actually accept and live in the real world. Because if they don't, you get cases like this one religious family who believed prayer would heal their sick children instead of real medicine--- and both kids died because of it. The parents are now facing trial. I could picture Rikka doing something like that with her kids, believing her Tyrant Eye can save them.
Rather than that, I would see Rikka using real life medicine and then saying it was the Tyrant's Eye that saved them .