View Single Post
Old 2007-01-31, 08:43   Link #1
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann (General Discussion thread)

Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann (Maiking Break-Through Gurren-Lagann)
Broadcast: April 2007 on TV-Tokyo
Episodes: 26
Site(s): Official, Gainax, Konami, TV Tokyo
Trailer: trailer (3.5mb)

Cast:
Katsuyuki Konishi as Kamina
Marina Inoue as Yoko
Tetsuya Kakihara as Shimon

Gurren-Lagann is Gainax's highly anticipated new mecha franchise, helmed by Hiroyuki Imaishi (animation director of FLCL), script and storyboard by Shouji Saeki (one of the directors of FLCL). Mecha designs by Yoh Yoshinari (Dead Leaves, Melody of Oblivion). Character designs by relative unknown Atsushi Nishigori. In short the cream of current Gainax talent.

Story:
Spoiler for Story:
Mecha wise, the Lagann of the title is a face section of the main Gurren-Lagann unit piloted by Shimon. The design is rather old school, but Enki's design is oddness. The character designs are funky and colourful, Shimon, is the Renton-esque hero, Kamina is the rockstar cum passionate leader and saucy looking Yoko contributes the Bounce. Also there's a odd little mascot, a mole called Boota.

What to expect? Eye-candy. Insanely well animated eye-candy, packed with tons of nods and homages to other Gainax animes and others beside. This is Gainax's next big anime, their first original idea since FLCL (I think?), and there's a lot riding on it for the studio. I have a huge amount of confidence that Hiroyuki Imaishi (and Gainax as a whole) will deliver. I love Gainax's work like Diebuster, FLCL and Nadia, so I'm looking forward to an epic, fun and unforgettable ride.

Last edited by Sonhex; 2007-02-15 at 05:31. Reason: added trailer
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote