Thread: Crunchyroll Nichijou
View Single Post
Old 2011-02-19, 18:10   Link #82
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-kun View Post
Here we go. First, I think I mentioned on the last page that I'm nowhere near what you'd call a fan of K-ON!! (and Lucky Star and whatever) because of their characters and plotline. I simply enjoy it for their production values. Now, since we got that out of the way, I also have watched a lot of other shows which by your logic must feature superior animation since they're more appealing to the mainstream public throughout the world (lol). They'd include stuff like Gundam and Ghost in the Shell, for instance. Or maybe even more experimental things, in the veins of Nakamura's Mononoke and Satoshi Kon's Paprika.

Now uh, I'm sure this might come as a shock, and then maybe not, but shows such as Milky Holmes and Yumekui Merry have featured much more impressive animation throughout their runs than, say, Gundam 00. It's not that Gundam 00 was incapable of having good animation
And that's about where you completely lost me.

Anyway, yes, I look at that trailer and I see mostly static images of bland looking character designs doing wild takes and making silly faces and you look at it and see something that outstrips the majority of what is airing today. I can't even begin to comprehend where you're seeing this "attention to animation detail" and I can probably assume that from your point of view you can't comprehend how I'm not seeing it. If the show comes out and it turns out that there's actually a great number of well-animated sequences of the kind you would want to show to an animator's class as an example of something they might want to strive for I will say that the trailer was actually misleading, however if it comes out and it's still largely static images with one exceptional sequence every episode or two (which seems to be the norm for Kyoani from what I've seen of them) I would not really be surprised. As of now you are correct, there's very little that can get me to call that trailer anything exceptional animation wise since I see very little movement or "attention to detail" and nothing looks impressive at all.

edit: In retrospect I think I'm being unfair to the other posters if I don't at least give them a way to comprehend what I am seeing in the trailer and where I'm coming from so I'm just going to quickly break it down here:

0:00-0:04: Still shot of a classroom sign
0:05-0:09: Mostly still shot of a simplistically drawn suburban landscape with a train moving across representing the sole motion
0:10: Paper airplane being thrown
0:11-0:27: Various shots including a girl doing a cartwheel, a girl with blue hair standing motionless while her mouth flaps, a girl with glasses and a blank stare drawing a circular motion and closing a book. There's motion here.
0:27-0:30: Girls doing wild takes with no backgrounds behind them.
0:30-0:39: Girl with spittle coming out of her mouth as she talks and slightly moves her head to the side, other girl standing still while corona of light shines off of her
0:40-0:49: Cat playing around with a Kleenex box and a girl doing a wild take. This is one of the few scenes where I see anything exceptional, but it also makes use of obvious repeating frames as well.
0:50-0:54: Girl spinning around and smashing into a locker. This actually looks good, probably the best shot out of anything in the trailer and no use of repeating frames that I can see.
0:55-1:00: Girls doing....something on a train. This looks good too.
1:00-1:20: Various shots of people talking while a couple of other people make the occasional motion in the background. I assume this is what people mean when they talk about "attention to detail".
1:22-1:24: Guy making the same sweeping motion a couple of times
1:25-1:27: Still shot of a building sign
1:28-1:42: Various shots including a girl taking a bite of ice cream, a girl swaying back and forth, a girl drawing, all of which feature the same animation cycle looping.
1:42-1:46: A girl floating motionlessly through a void while slowing rotating clockwise
1:46-1:55: Various shots including more wild takes, a girl using another girl as a drum set with animation loops and again a girl standing in a void albeit with some decent zoom in effect for another wild take.
1:55-2:00: A cat jumping up in the air while scratching in an animation loop
2:00-2:05: Various shots including dramatic lighting on a girl, a still shot of another girl and a cat freaking out.
2:05-2:10 A girl striking a pose. There's again some decent zoom effect put to use in here and some actual motion, but a good chunk of it comes from an extreme close up of a fast and there's not exactly much detail in the frame.
2:10-End: Various shots including a girl walking into a room and a girl walking towards train tracks from far off in the distance such that I can't really make her out well.

So basically aside from a 10 second or so stretch I didn't see all that much motion making use of non-repeating frames and even then I'd still call those sequences about par compared to most TV anime I see nowadays.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2011-02-19 at 19:16.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote