View Single Post
Old 2011-04-26, 23:49   Link #1046
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
While I agree that Jiromaru and Tohru are probably unlikeable characters for many, I'm not sure how they're "fail" characters. Seriously, one is an artsy version of Saito from Welcome to the NHK played for comedy, the other is a prick who seems to enjoy tormenting his schoolgirl coworkers. That's a long way from your usual "harem lead/epic fail sidekick" combination, and I actually like the two for what they bring to the show despite the fact they're the kind of people I wouldn't like much IRL.
Well one thing that struck me during the class introduction, is more annoying male characters? NOOOOO. But thankfully they were minor. Mr. Writer's character just has no credibility at this point and the other is... he's there, lol. I just found him insecure and annoying, and that's all I have for him too.

The only one of interest is Kou, and well, which is why I want him in the story soon.

Quote:
It's not like the girls don't have major personality flaws too. Ohana? A bit naive (though less so than the norm for this character type). Nako? Lacks backbone. Minko? Anti-social. Tomoe? Gossips far too much to deal with the fact her life isn't like a steamy romance novel or soap opera.
Well, the female characters aren't that much better, but I didn't want to bring that up. Maybe I should just say Ohana > everyone else. Everything is relative.

Anyhow, on another topic, about being a serious drama or not, I see no reason to not expect this series could manage to do both. Another series, Steins;Gate, has many casual lighthearted moments but it still is overall a serious story; I don't think that particular one has sacrficed any storytelling integrity to get the silly stuff on the screen.

It troubles me, because PA works last production, Angel Beats, also had this odd mismash of drama and comedy that would work sometimes and not other times. Now, this is a completely different writer that everyone has lauded, so I honestly was a bit hyped up. It makes me suspicious that someone doing the editing or directing is screwing up somewhere.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote