View Single Post
Old 2012-09-08, 08:07   Link #1060
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
It's true that they've given far more focus to the mechanics of politics rather than the political philosophies (so much so that I couldn't help but find it ironic) but I do think they actually plan to focus on the policies as well. I mean I can't imagine the scene where Oojima reads Satsuki's manifesto whilst Isara gets bullied to be insignificant in the long run. After that, I was almost certain it would be one of the central issues at the end. In fact after this episode I'm pretty sure it will be. It's still a loose character thread with both Satsuki and Isara and it looks to be an issue on Yakumo's side now that we've learnt that the reason behind his drop is linked to the matter and now that Yumi Osawa has been thrown into the mix.

But still, even if it's not the main focus, it's not okay to force the issues away anyway. That scene where Oojima declares the financial aid students as part of his manifesto was obviously about his policies. And they also know that Satsuki's policies are about the aid students so naturally you'd think the conversation would follow in that direction. But it doesn't. They don't even consider it, even though it's the first thing I'd consider immediately. It's hard to feel for characters when they occasional act completely outside of any sort of logic, even if it's a supposedly minor thing like that. And it's not as if the way Oojima's new found manifesto being affected by Satsuki's manifesto isn't linked to the mechanics of the politics either so they don't really have any reason not to go there anyway.
I get what you're saying, and you're right that it would be best if we saw and heard how Oojima's specific policy was crafted to compete with Satsuki's specific policy. I'd certainly like to see that as well, and I'm even still holding out some faint hope that we might see a candidates debate at some point (even just a few short minutes of that might be nice).

But Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate is balancing an awful lot - Not just its three premises (love, election, and chocolate), but also trying to squeeze in nice moments between Oojima and each of the main heroines. It is a real juggling act. While I admire the ambition behind it, I can't help but think that this anime might have been tighter if it made a clear romantic choice (Clannad-esque) and just ran with that instead of trying to get in something from each and every girl's route (that's my impression anyway, I haven't played the games).

The good news is that Oojima/Chisato will hopefully be resolved (one way or the other) next episode. If the resolution is an Oojima/Chisato romantic end... well, as much as that's not what I want, at least it would allow more focus to be put on the election for the last 2/3 episodes.