View Single Post
Old 2012-09-23, 09:34   Link #171
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard View Post
hmmm, didn't I touch on this exact point in my post?

Fine, whatever, you see it as being overly complicated, I see it as being perfectly common-sense. Don't know what to tell you really.

Most of the time if you tell a GM you've found a bug they'll try to replicate it off-line and test it. So copying a broken piece of code to look at in a test environment seems reasonable to me.
I'm saying you can't have it both way - either the GMs have a modicum of competence regarding the application's code and they will possibly have access to it, along with powerful, flexible tools that maybe won't be so easy to use for any idiot pulled off the street, or they don't, and what they can do is severely limited by the need to simplify their UI and by the lack of trust placed in them not to mess things up.

Admittedly, my experience isn't in games, but what I imagine should happen is that if a player spots a bug and tells a GM, the GM (who isn't a coder) will try to reproduce it, and if he can do it, will then kick the matter to maintenance (who will be coders) along with the logs, or a way to extract the relevant logs, so they can try to reproduce it on a development server. At no point will the GM have access to the code, or even the raw data that makes up the application, nor can they be expected to extract the relevant bits. Though they may have techs to call on to do that.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote