View Single Post
Old 2013-07-23, 23:29   Link #23
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

I know that CR's Android app was only 360P at launch, but I was under the impression that this wasn't the cause... certainly NorthernFallout's post suggested to me it isn't. Might want to follow up with him on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I can watch 720p fansubs on my Galaxy S3 Android smartphone. Even the standard player had no problem with a couple of episodes of Hyouge Mono encoded with the standard H.264+AAC+ASS combination.
Is the standard player provided by Samsung or Google?

I'd expect fansubs from groups that are fairly conservative in their encoding and subtitling to work fine. It's when the subbers start adding in Hi10P, or encode H.264 with certain settings (you can break GPU assisted decoding on some PCs doing this), or add visual effects in the subs like OP/ED karaoke or painting over a Japanese sign with an English sign styled to match using the subtitle renderer (I'm not making this scenario up, it's been done) that I'd start to worry about compatibility.

Quote:
I don't recall whether I've ever watched anything over 4G though.
If it's LTE, I'd worry more about your data cap/overages than whether has enough speed to work.

(In Canada, the major carriers charge $35 for 5GB data on a tablet - enough for only 16 CR episodes in 720P. And their smartphone/hotspot plans are much, much worse. Budget carriers can be somewhat better but surprisingly few people use them for various reasons.)

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote