View Single Post
Old 2011-10-29, 02:45   Link #286
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Heh, i didnr intend to derail the thread into a hardware channel but it has been useful. This is just one of those gamea that lure one into hardware upgrades. Up to now my trusty 9600gt has been fine for *most* of the games I play. But Ihave upgraded everything else in the last year and now the card is the laggard in the ayatem. It will continue to serve well in my "anime" box hooked to my tv or in the guest box in the guest room.
Your 9600GT is 44% as powerful as the GTX 260 in the recommended requirements, so yeah, an upgrade is probably in order. And as an Elder Scrolls game, Skyrim should have enough gameplay to make it worthwhile too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong View Post
When I bought New Vegas for PS3, I instantly returned it. I just couldnt stand:
-Slow loading times
-720p, below average graphics. Probably medium/low settings equivalent to its PC counterpart.
-30 Fps and constant slowdowns.
-Bad controls, you just cant aim that good with an analog stick.
Surprised to hear its that far behind the PC version, I would have guessed a mainstream GPU like Urzu 7's HD5750 to be about 2.5-3X the power of a PS3 GPU (rough calculation, made by looking at comparative performance of 7800gtx/7900gtx, 7900gtx/8800gtx, 8800gtx/5770 and then 5770/5750 because no one directly compares the 7800gtx (which is similar to the PS3 unit) to the 5750 directly) and that the much lower render resolution would make a lot of it up. The extra memory probably makes a huge difference though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
It boils down to the program design and the love they put into the port. With RAGE, id made an engine that sounds interesting on paper but is poor in practice. Clearly, they didn't give a damn about the PC version (seemingly tossed out with minimum work and quality assurance) either given all the compatibility issues.
ID Tech 5 is really designed for low latency hardware with little memory - so yes, consoles, but I get the impression the tech would have been more impressive a few years back when PCs didn't tend to have as much graphics RAM and such too. They didn't ship a title based on it nearly fast enough though, likely because taking advantage of IDTech 5's unique features requires investing tons and tons of man-hours in the creation of art assets forthe game.

But yeah, even more than the poor engine design the state of the PC version bugged me. The number of tweaks release within a couple of days suggest that isome of the games' issues on the PC would have been trivial to fix, yet they didn't bother. Shame, since it seems to have turned an awful lot of PC gamers off a game that from what I read is actually one of the better recent FPSes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Sure 720p is HD, but most games on the consoles didn't render at that resolution. For example on the ps3 Space Marines was something like 1152x640; El Shaddai 1152x576; Crisis 2 1024x720; Resistance 3 960x704; Dark Souls 1024x720; those CoD games were all sub 720p and Rage dynamically changes from 640x720 to 1280x720. So personally I think that is a scam to market a system being HD, only because it upscales the video output to HD specs.
And I kind of doubt that Skyrim will be render at 720p on the current consoles.
You can find the render resolutions for a lot of PS3 and 360 games here:
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=46241

Yes, many don't even use full 720P.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote