View Single Post
Old 2012-03-23, 09:52   Link #210
liars_paradox

Post In Hasekura's Words

Quote:
Originally Posted by BashZeStampeedo View Post
My point is that she could leave him on a high note pretty easily. But she's trying to desperately force a happy ending, and in the process she's creating a bad memory (and knows it).

So if she's so worried about a bad memory, why go through the trouble of creating one anyway, unless she thinks there will be a worse one down the line? But what would that worse ending be?

If she's not afraid of seeing his death, then it's got to be something else. And all I can think of is that she doesn't want to grow so attached to him that it hurts her more than breaking up this way.

If it's not dependence, what else could it be? Not only that, but she clearly already thinks Lawrence is too dependent on her to just let her go. Otherwise she could just ask him to let her go, without all of this scheming.
I think that you're assuming too much - you're putting thoughts into Holo's head that the book doesn't even imply.

Yes, Holo would be leaving Lawrence with a bad memory, but I didn't see anything in the author's writings which would indicate that Holo considered that. Just basing my interpretations solely on the author's words, I can gather that the only thing that Holo is concerned with is how the relationship will end before Lawrence dies.

And, I'm not sure in what way you think that Holo would depend on Lawrence. Holo is immortal and wouldn't need Lawrence to live, but if you're referring to some emotional need that Holo is depending on Lawrence for, then breaking off their relationship would only make things worse for her.

We know that Holo does suffer from loneliness anxiety, which is partly related to her immortal condition. But, being with someone that you grow tired of or no longer get along with might be better than being alone. If Holo was so concerned with feeling lonely then you would think that staying with Lawrence would help avoid that. Even if Holo grew tired of Lawrence, then at least she would have someone around her still.

Also, we also know that Holo would at least have a child with Lawrence if she stays with him for the rest of Lawrence's life, or at least until she has his child. So, it really doesn't seem that fear of being alone is what Holo is considering at this point.

But, going back to what I said earlier about the author's writings, Hasekura does explain to us exactly what Holo is thinking. He does tell us that Holo is concerned with the overall impression of the memory of Holo and Lawrence's time together. That's why she's trying to break the relationship off now, rather than later.

You're right about it leaving a bad memory, but the author didn't bother to bring that up. Without evidence this would only be conjecture, but I suppose that Holo's reasoning is that this one memory would not have quite as much of an impact as the rest of their relationship.

When Holo would look back on her days with Lawrence, she would think about how much she misses him - rather than be glad that she's rid of him. And, the same would be said for Lawrence. Lawrence would think about how much he misses her, but if they ended the relationship on bad terms then he would remember about how much of a bitch she was.

Last edited by liars_paradox; 2012-03-23 at 10:10. Reason: Additional Thoughts
liars_paradox is offline   Reply With Quote