Thread: Licensed Saki manga
View Single Post
Old 2013-03-09, 01:10   Link #3209
orangejuicetang

So I decided to go back and reread the chapters of Achiga starting from beginning, to try and see if I noticed anything that I may not have noticed the first time, and I made a few interesting observations.

-On Shizu vs Koromo, when we first see the results of the match, it's Shizu in 'despair' after having received a thrashing from Koromo and her Haitei Raoyues. Of course, then Shizu recovers right away and asks to continue the match. But on a more specific note, it's mentioned that she got hit with three Haitei Raoyues from Koromo. However, later during Koromo's conversation with Saki, Koromo mentions that she was planning on using it five times, but only managed three. So in other words, after the brief side cut of Shizu recovering from her despair and challenging Koromo to the second round, Koromo did not manage a single Haitei Raoyue.

-After the first training against all the 2nd place finishers, Harue mentions the only single person they couldn't take a single game off of was Arawaka Kei, the 2nd place in individuals last year. Which means that somebody on Achiga took at least one game off of Koromo. This is probably connected to the previous point.

-Somewhat flavorful, but when team Achiga first accidentally encounters Saki, Harue, Kuro, and then a little bit later Shizu all of a sudden feel Saki's 'monster' aura. The very last page of that chapter is a shot of Shizu suddenly turning around and looking at Saki walking away after sensing the 'monster' aura, and the text at the bottom says "The strong can feel when something is wrong." Although that's somewhat flavorful.

-We never actually see Achiga play/practice against the Nagano's teams, although if memory serves me right the anime shows the Nagano's team winning pretty handily.

-After their practice against the super good individuals only players of Arawaka Kei and her friends, I think Shizu shows the 'FIRE IN THE EYES' for the first time (someone correct me if I'm wrong?). Something I've noticed is that alot of supernatural ability users in this series, often have some sort of effect in their eye whether it be fire or lightning or something of the sort.

-Continuing from that point, after their reunion with Nodaka and Shizu's vow to meet them in the finals, as they walk away, Shizu's eye does the whole lightning strike thing which has been seen before in serious-mode Saki and Koromo

-This one is about Sumire actually, more along the lines when she said they weren't going to go all-out and were more scouting out the other teams. In a way, she's like the opposite of Awai in her match. She starts off using her ability to sort of test the other players, but after Yuu dodges her ability twice due to her tell and makes her pay, rather than continue forcing it, Sumire decides to back off, make a mental reminder to pay more attention to Achiga, and play the rest of the match without using her special ability. After all, it messed up twice, so there was no reason to keep on spamming it and give other teams a higher chance of figuring out how to counter it as well. However, going back to the idea of 'holding back', something I realized was that in theory, she could have continued to spam those piercing arrows on Izumi if she simply wanted points. Who knows, repeated attacks might even have been able to drop Izume to zero and end the entire round but it posed too much a risk of what may be an already compromised ability which could hurt them in the finals, so she decided not to. However, once it's the finals, there's no reason for her to not spam those arrows at the lowest player until they go under.

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
orangejuicetang is offline   Reply With Quote