View Single Post
Old 2007-08-16, 19:25   Link #87
mezrabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
In conclusion I'd say if you're new to anime (in which this anime would be really bad for you to start out with) then watch it in chronological order but if not, just watch it as the way it was aired.
You're absolutely right about that! Anyone new to anime watching this for the first time should probably do so in chronological order (maybe even save episode 00 for 11). My wife, for instance, would also agree with this. She's not an anime fan, but I just *had* to show her tMoHS. She, too, was confused by the airing order, despite her being pretty smart. Some people just don't think non-linearly, I guess. (I remember having to explain "Yesterday's Enterprise" from ST:TNG season 3 to her more than a few times, too, so, there ya go . . .)

Maybe they'll release an extra-special DVD collector's edition with the episodes in the airing order.

I also wanted to note that I said in my last post that I was sad about losing the "previews" from the TV airings because the DVD releases have the eps in chronological order and the previews narrated by Yuki. (with the exception of episode 00, of course). I just discovered the original TV previews in the DVD extras section! So, um, "yokata" and all that.

Order aside, I must say I was pretty happy with the voices chosen for all of the characters in the english dub. It sounds almost as if the original japanese voice actors were taught how to speak english perfectly and then re-cast as the english voice actors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
For me it's really similar to Haibane Renmei, and I love that anime, so I'd probably enjoyed it in the order it was aired.
!!!!! Hey, are you saying Habenai Renmai was aired in a different order from the DVD release???? Guess I need to do some research. I enjoyed that in the DVD order just fine, but I'd be very curious to watch it in the original air order just to see how they told the story then.

As much as I enjoyed Haruhi in the aired order, I am suddenly reminded that the series "Firefly" was originally aired in the "wrong" order (per Joss Wedon) and am glad I saw it first on DVDs in the "right" order (per Joss Wedon). It's quite possible that many people will feel the same way about Haruhi.