View Single Post
Old 2010-11-07, 22:33   Link #39
Jarmel

God this shows reminds me so much of my own family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Here's what really struck me: just how much more appreciated Kyousuke is in the Tamura home than his own. I think that was intentional - where he's barely noticed at home, he's the constant center of attention (and affection) at the Tamura's. You can even see how uncomfortable this makes him at times - he's so used to his anonymous persona at home that being shown affection is unnatural. But you can also see how at home he feels there - fully participating in the teasing and back and forth of her oddball clan.

Is he really clueless about Manami's affection, and is it reciprocated? Too early to say. His comments to his classmate aside, he may very honestly view Manami as no more than a close friend (and I'm rooting for Saori, though it's a Quixotic hope). But there could be more to his banter with her, too. As for Kirino, yes, we certainly see that she's jealous that he decided to spend the night. That's a selfish emotion but it at least shows some sort of interest in Kyousuke.

Much needed backstory for Kyou. He's the much more sympathetic of the two leads and it was necessary to show him in an environment where his every action wasn't a response to something Kirino was saying or doing.
I agree. It's somewhat weird in that they don't really care about him but Manami's family adores him but I wonder if that has to do with the cold formality of his family. It seems to me that there was some event where he got into trouble and that ruined the family's perception of him. The way the family looks in that photo in the OP might indicate a change with the dad that affected the family. I mean Kyou's grades seem fine if they're even entertaining the idea of him going to college. It seems even without Kirino they probably wouldn't care about him that much.

I loved the OP changes for this episode. Especially when it shifts from Kyou looking at Manami to Kirino, that was done amazingly well. It sums up the entire show in a way.