View Single Post
Old 2012-10-03, 02:55   Link #221
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Dude, that's like calling PSO an MMO.

Guild Wars and PSO are direct descendent of Diablo. They are MORPGs.
The MMO-like element only comes into play in the outlets (towns, etc) and even then it's fragmented into servers individually.

Due to not understanding the difference between MMO and MO, many game sites and magazines will lump them all into MMO, but trust me, they are NOT.

And no, don't lump me with "Oh he just knows WoW" crowd, I've probably have been playing various MOs and MMOs since most of the people here have been alive.

As far as WoW goes, it's basically a EQ clone, like most of the MMO genre.
What WoW achieved in that category is building broad clientele by casual focus, focus on intuitive GUI, and introduction of element of instances, burrowed from their other successful MO franchise, Diablo.
I'm not lumping you as a WoW only player as I don't know you xD

I was using GW1 as an example of game design with my focus on keeping players interested for a long period of them.

I could have used an author writing a long series of books (WoT) as an example, but the relevancy is much more of a stretch.

The point I was trying to make was, lvl 74+ boss room makes sense to me, as it is challenging (w/o real death ofc), especially after playing a game (any type of game) for over 2 years!

*EDIT*
Also your point about DOA and solong the game... Soloing with heroes and henches is a totally different game, they have superb reflexes and as long as you design your team right it was much easier then playing with people, especially a PUG.

There was plenty of high end content outside of DOA that was challenging, but my point was then you needed to know the tricks to beat them. Ofc if you look it up on GW wiki it would be easy. Working it out on your own I think is where the challenge and fun is.