View Single Post
Old 2007-03-16, 02:31   Link #87
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinova View Post
If it's different genres you want KyoAni to take on, you'll have to know that there's no "easy" or "difficult" genre. Every genre piece can be trash or sheer masterpiece, and requires huge amounts of its own kind of work and effort. Even mindless harem comedies have their trash and their brilliant masterpieces.

The work KyoAni's doing is some difficult work indeed. Certainly they have good source material to fall back on, but translating words into animation involves a lot. Cinematography is daaaaaammn harder work than most people may think.

Now if we take on the underlining concerns that seem to be fueling your criticism there, you may be asking why KyoAni keeps doing adaptations instead of original work.

Well, making an entirely original work can actually be much easier than adapting an existing one because with an original piece, you're the boss. You get to make it all up. With adaptations, you have to worry about being faithful to the source. You have to translate someone else's vision onto the screen rather than your own.

Of course, if you're making some ginormous epic original piece, that's a whole different story. Of course, you could also try to adapt a ginormous epic source material as well.

And lastly, there are fans like us who want this or this erogame or manga on the screen. And who are the ones to undergo the painstaking work to fulfill our wishes?
You know I can't argue this and all of these things I respect.

What leaves me generally unimpressed with the company is that they seem to not even give two hoots and a holler about my side of the anime fandom, that being Mecha, Shounen and Intellectual thriller type shows. They seem soley focused on the Moe side of the market, which I don't really care for. So I don't think its unfair for me to have a grudge and some tough words to say about where I think they falter in the originality and risk taking department. I also don't think its unfair for me to throw my support away from them and towards companies like Sunrise who at least try to combine both sides of the market together such as with Idolmaster Xenoglossia or even Code Geass with its characters like Nunally and Nina in the midst of what will soon be a World War. What really annoys me is that its so damn easy for Kyoto Animation to win me over by giving their careful and attentive treatment to something I'd enjoy watching for more than a couple episodes, yet they constantly refuse to try anything other than Key stories and Moe Light Novels. I also consider Full Metal Panic to be more of a joint venture series with Kyoto Animation playing a partner role and being handed the reigns by Gonzo and them working with other companies to complete the project.

and to the guy (girl?) above, there is a company called Sunrise. Sunrise Inc. is a the amalgamation under Bandai and Sunrise is the name of the studio as it was before the buy out. The company has gone by three names including Sunrise, Nippon Sunrise and Sunrise Inc. KyoAni is just a nickname that people insist on using to drive people who don't like acronyms (like me) up the wall and isn't actually its official name anywhere in legal documents.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-03-16 at 02:42.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote