View Single Post
Old 2007-10-23, 03:38   Link #122
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicNarcotic View Post
You could label almost every character in this series as a 'victim,' hell, you could label almost anyone in any given circumstance a 'victim.' Hell, everyone's a victim. That's a weak cop out. Labeling people as victims does nothing more than over look their inherent flawed sense of reasoning, questionable actions, and overall strength of character; And in some situations justify their actions, no matter how flawed their logic was.

Sure, it's pretty easy to stack all the blame and wrong on Makoto, and in a lesser degree Sekai, but every other character that experienced pain contributed to a certain degree.
You seem to be missing something out from this...the label victim is something rather objective and it is not easily used unless supported with facts. labelling kotonoha a victim doesnt make her free from any flaw crits i agree but the fact that she is a victim in this story is what matters.
Quote:
She empowered her predators by consistently assuming the role of the helpless prey, failed to believe the truth of what Makoto really was ( a two timing bastard) countless times, went completely insane over an obsession with a guy who blatantly told her it was over, ultimately leading to her
Spoiler for ..":
If that's being mentally strong then how I view being mentally strong is apparently flawed. Ultimately her own weakness of mind drove her into a prolonged state of grief.
You're putting words in my mouth. I didn't say Kotonoha doesn't deserve to live a normal life.
1) "consistently assuming the role of the helpless prey,"

err...its her personality to be shy...i dont not see another hidden personality where she is thinking "right...ill pretend to suffer so others might take pitty on me" which is what you are implying. she didnt fight back because she lacked mental strength to do so...which is a character flaw? or a highly valuable trait? i would prefer her over a loud mouth bitch any day (not because i think she is submissive but because i just love her personality - so much so you would want to embrace and protect such a fragile creature).

2) " failed to believe the truth of what Makoto really was ( a two timing bastard) countless times,"

...while he failed to tell her the truth until she had dug herself into a bottomless pit...

agreed that she should have given him up but by that time she wasnt "sane" as most normal human beings...living in a word of fantasy she only wants to be loved...

3)"went completely insane over an obsession with a guy who blatantly told her it was over,"

The damage was done...the damage was done...

and i said mentally strong for a different thing. this obviously was just too much for her to bare...if you see she has always been confused with the whole situation and being held back on important information for a good portion of the series didnt help either. we actually see that she has a fear of being lonely after gaining some friends for the first time she has been in this school. To know the warmth of another person is something not easily put down.
Quote:
What i'm trying to say is she has Makoto as well as herself to blame.

People go crazy for many different reasons. I've never said she went crazy for no reason at all, so I don't know what your getting at.

Don't try to pin this up as me trying to say Kotonoha is solely responsible, she isn't, but here's a fact, she's not the innocent victim you all portray her as, she had some responsibility in her grief, whether you like to admit it or not.
lol im not putting words into your mouth...just expanding on some points seen as what you said about kotonoha was all negative in that post.

yep im not saying she is totally innocent or whatever but largly she is - id say about 10% of her is the flaws which is low compared to the other girls and "IT".

the only crime she commited has to be going out with makoto and giving him soo many chances in the first place but again that is due to her insecure personality. if you say that it is her fault for being insecure than indeed it is but some people like that.

as for being a victim that she is...no doubt about it she is the victim here even if not fully innocent. I cant say that she brought all of this onto herself because it was mainly sekai's doing but in the later parts she has already shown to be faithful to only one man...shame she was wasted on makoto though
Quote:
Don't throw me in with his lot.

To sum it all up, Kotonaha an innocent angel that wasn't repsonsible for any of the grief that befell her? No. Kotonaha a girl who was probably the most morally upright (well, till the end) who endured through a lot of pain, albeit contributed to it in a way? Yes.
agreed

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS