View Single Post
Old 2011-07-17, 20:28   Link #13
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Eh, regular 2D doesn't necessarily mean good image quality anymore. I mentioned this in another movie thread.

Basically, the way I understand it, the 3D system used on Sony 4K projectors projects two separate images simultaneously in 3D mode. These is done by displaying the two versions side by side on the imager and then using a lens that projects them as two separate light beams.

You can project 2D with the 3D lens, but that only uses half the imager and hence you only get half the brightness. In many theatres, this results in brightness well below industry standards. Of course, many theatres do so anyway because switching to a lens designed for 2D requires a) owning that lens and b) doing alignment adjustments.

This is not an issue with DLP projectors, which don't use that kind of lens system for 3D projection.
Right, I've taken to *asking* if the projector being used is also usable for 3D and whether its a DLP. If they can't answer or demur, I mark that theater off my list. Its actually quite difficult to find a manager to discuss it with and I'm sure I'm labeled the "cranky curmudgeon" over it.