View Single Post
Old 2012-01-10, 06:44   Link #2008
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
That's not really how such a quest would be programmed and like Ithekro says, it could be a one time event or be based on any number of variables (including whether certain factions in a town had been put down or not). Software can be quite nuanced and subtle. I used to do system simulations for a living that were used to train pilots, astronauts, etc. It can be far more well modeled than "if house, then 40%==steal" or "if sleep, then 20%==attack".
And yeah, you might *need* to buy food that has a 1% chance of poison if you're passing through a crappy town and are out of food.

It just seems really odd that you're okay with all the existing "random encounters" in the game but this idea seems to have you in a panic. Snow Yeti may leap on you in the mountains... so don't use mountain roads at all?
I can kill snow yetis. I also did not pay money so I could get the privilege of being attacked by snow yetis.

houses are suppose to be safe. That's why people pay for them. If they are not safe, I am better off carrying everything on Lydia and just live on the streets like a hobo.

And if food is risky to buy then I will go hunt my own meat.

My point is that you think randomly throwing in punishments is somehow rewarding. People AVOID being punished. Like how someone might climb the throat of the world using a horse from the wrong side of the mountain just to avoid the ice troll.

I ask you again, would you like your character to be randomly turned into a vampire again your will? Or what if you got turned into a werewolf in the Companions quest without the option of refusal? The whole "isn't it FUN if something break into my expensive house and stole things!" is just insane. I will flatout refuse to BUY the damn house.