View Single Post
Old 2013-01-13, 05:04   Link #29
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

It looks very much as if the Queerats are going to get hold of a human with PK and use them as a weapon. It could be Maria or Mamoru, if they brainwashed them, but what if it wasn't?

What the higher ups in the village were worried about was that because a male-female couple had run away, they could potentially have children who would not have the death feedback restriction. If Maria or Mamoru have kids, and the Queerats get hold of those kids, they can raise them however they want to.

A patient Queerat with a tight hold over its colony could obtain a safe place for Mamoru and Maria to live, where Queerats loyal to humans couldn't find them. Then, all they need to do is wait for Maria to have some babies, and take those babies. They would have to stop Maria and Mamoru from taking revenge, either by killing them or messing with their minds either before or after Maria had the kids.

I'm hoping that the Queerat queen is not meant to be a parallel for Maria, but I really suspect she is, given what Saki said earlier in the series about how much untold damage could have been avoided if Maria had never been born.

This was such a good episode overall! One other thing I found interesting was Saki and Satoru's conversation, when Saki was thinking that she shouldn't put human values on the Queerats and Satoru by contrast was finding them very human. I was wondering when they were talking about the Queerat queen whether Saki had any idea of the parallels between her society and the Queerat one: the humans killing their own children and brainwashing everyone in order to stop the deadly peril from the PK and continue the species, and the Queerats doing horrible things to render the queens harmless because the strong queens were insane/killing them/subjugating them, while still needing the queens for the continuation of their species.