View Single Post
Old 2012-12-16, 19:44   Link #506
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
I have no idea WTF a Bushmaster rifle is of any use for civilians. If it was for me, assault rifles (and their derivatives) as well as handguns like the ones shown here should be banned for starters. It's obvious they are not going to be used in hunting animals.
So many fallacies, so little time.

By that definition in the propaganda image being thrown around, THIS is an "assault rifle."

The stupidity of the media knows no bounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Don't be disingenuous. For one, that Bushmaster is a civilian variant. It is not capable of full-auto or 3-shot-burst firing. It's no different than any other semi-automatic rifle, except it's black and has a synthetic stock and a pistol grip.

Don't commit the "evil black rifles" fallacy. There's absolutely no difference between that rifle and an equivalent Browning in .223 chambering with wood furniture and engravings of leaping stags in a field. It's aesthetics and appearance only. I can quite easily take a standard Ruger Mini-14 with a wooden stock and fore from my local sporting goods store and buy a bunch of aftermarket crap for it to make it look "tacticool" just like that Bushmaster.

There are legitimate uses for these firearms. Just because one wouldn't hunt with them doesn't mean they cannot be used for other purposes, such as competitive sport shooting, recreational target shooting and home or personal defense.
Madame, you are spot on correct.
Here is the difference between an AR-15 and a real M16 (just like a car, it's what's under the "hood" that counts):

Lower Reciever:
AR-15 is on the left, M16 is on the right:

Trigger group:

Bolt Carrier:

Bottom of bolt-carrier, AR-15 is on the left, M16 is on the right:

There are other major differences like where automatic parts holes must be drilled etc., but the fact remains the guns are totally different mechanically and thus an AR-15 IS NOT an assault rifle because it has been designed to shoot like any other civilian hunting rifle (semi-auto).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
Nevermind the inaccuracies in that picture (designed for military use? LOL), your assertion is actually quite incorrect. The AR15 platform is used quite often for hunting, as it is a very effective rifle.

Neither is hunting the only legitimate use of firearms.
Agreed.
I really wish people would come to terms with the fact that part of being a citizen of the United States entails being a member of the militia.
Like it or not, it is the law and therefore the government was prevented from abolishing the militia by the 2nd amendment to the constitution and its guarantee of the right to keep and bear arms.

Last edited by GundamFan0083; 2012-12-16 at 19:47. Reason: Miltia? Must be having a Xenosaga flashback. :)
GundamFan0083 is offline   Reply With Quote