View Single Post
Old 2008-05-05, 12:33   Link #52
cheyannew
PolyPerson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Although I voted "No" in this poll let me explain my point of view on this matter.

First of all, I don't think a man and a woman can easily becomes friends. Perhaps my definition of a friend is different than other people, I do believe a man and a woman can be acquaintances though and to me there is a big distinction between that.

A friend is someone who will always be there when you're in trouble, a friend is someone someone who listens, someone who tells the truth about yourself and you appreciate it, someone who arrives unexpectedly, as you are going out and you want with all your heart to take them with you.

An acquaintance is someone you are just on friendly terms with, you may spend time outside of the work place or school here and there, you may talk here and there with some little friendly chit chat. But after you leave the workplace or after you leave your college, those acquaintances disappear from your life.

A woman is usually a friend when they're your lover. I would it find it highly unusual otherwise. And when you become older and get married and happen to actually be friends with someone of the opposite gender, I don't think your wife or husband will appreciate you hanging out with the opposite sex.

Society deems its unusual, therefor it is wrong. Many of the modern countries today, I have not been to lal countries of course so I can't speak for everybody, may be technologically more advanced that its neighbors, but they are from a sociological standpoint too immature.

So I will stick with my answer of no, coming from someone who lives in California, but a truly ideal world it should be yes, we as people are not there yet. As long as we still have government issues like gay marriage, we are definitely not there yet.
No offense intended but this REALLY rubbed me the wrong way..

Firstly, if your significant other doesn't like you hanging out w/ people of the opposite sex, GET A NEW SIGNIFICANT OTHER!!!
Honestly; there's no room for jealousy or paranoia in a relationship. Gods know I would not've stayed w/ my husband for the last 12 years if he had issues w/ my male friends. He knows I'm not going anywhere. And I have no issues w/ him hanging out w/ females; why would I? That's just silly if you're planning on having a good healthy commitment w/ them.

Society SAYS a lot of things are wrong; that doesn't make it so. Ideals and such will not change if we dont' take matters into our own hands. "Well they think it's wrong" means it'll STAY "wrong" since no one wants to stand up and go "hey screw society".
I am as close, if not closer, to my male FRIENDS as I am my female ones. Granted, I may be an odd case, but people are people, regardless of their gender. That's how I approach others, and how I expect to be approached. People here at work learned long ago I am ME, I am not a woman, and don't treat me as such. I expect everyone to be treated the same, whilst I realize that's a pipe dream, I generally attempt to live my life like that. Maybe it's because I live such an alternative lifestyle, who knows.

Again, no offense, but it just hit a bunch of pet peeves You explained your point of view very well.

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote