View Single Post
Old 2012-06-17, 19:58   Link #2
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classified Info View Post
Ye well, i'm a 20y male, and i don't really get how i should be able to enjoy magical girl animes; i mean, being a boy, i tend to empathize with the protagonist, but if it's a girl, it's obviously impossible; add to that that the entire cast is 99.98% of the times made of other girls...
I think this is where the problem basically starts and ends. Why wouldn't you be able to empathize with a female protagonist? Even though she's "a girl", she's no different than any other human character in a story. She's still portrayed to have aspirations, desires, and feelings. Why would she be easier to empathize with if she weren't a "she"? I honestly don't understand at all what the gender of the protagonist or the other characters in the story has to do with empathy.

Edit: Just to add, I think the rest of the criticisms you have of the show seem to support the observation that this is the root cause. Because you apparently had no empathy for the characters, the rest of your commentary focuses entirely on the predictability of the plot as if you were totally disengaged/detached from the experience. So again, I'm not sure why, but if you really can't empathize with female characters, then perhaps the magical girl genre will never work for you. I'm not sure how to overcome this barrier, only that this has never been a problem for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classified Info View Post
Not trying to start any kind of flamewar or anything like that, just seeking which criteria do you use to judge animes in this genre, what appeals you of them, and what is so good of madoka. Naturally this question is aimed to other male users, since girls surely got their reasons for liking stuff aimed to them.

Thanks for the answers, i hope you can enlighten me on these points, so that in the future i'll be able to enjoy this genre aswell.
I'm going to watch and see. This sure seems a lot like the makings of a flamewar to me. Not to mention, if you really want to ask about Madoka Magica, why not check the sub-forum, and read the many impressions people had about the show?

For the moment I'll allow the thread to stay open... but I reserve the right to close it at any time. To others who might participate in this thread, please don't post Madoka spoilers here or make this another Madoka review/criticism thread.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-06-17 at 20:13.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote