View Single Post
Old 2007-06-10, 05:45   Link #853
Zero1
Two bit encoder
*Fansubber

Bumping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero1 View Post
Also I transmuxed a 1080p H.264 from HD-DVD (not personally, but I had a 115MB ISO). Played fine for about 28 seconds but then started to stutter and lost audio. I didn't see any obvious reason, so I assumed it was bitrate.
Said encode is here:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UIU60WEI
Did a little further testing. Same video without audio in MP4 now plays flawlessly until 1:02 or so then starts to stutter (since the audio is AAC, I assume it was decoded in software and coupled with the high bitrate and 1080p source it must have been too much). I also put the H.264 in a TS without audio and tested. Strange results. It seems to stutter for a split second, twice a second. It's nothing major, but it is noticable.

There are signs of slowdown at 1:12, but again nothing it can't recover from.

Interesting thing to note is the TS is around 150MB and the MP4 is 100MB - so perhaps this split second stutter is throughput/fragged HD/USB related rather than crappy TS support (no other TS is like this, they are all perfect). Quite bizarre.

Also, a kind person PMed me with some PAFF source. It plays perfectly in TS. I remuxed it to a H.264/AC3 MP4 just for kicks to see if it would work, it plays but no audio (I actually expected it to tell me to GTFO with unsupported codecs). It plays fine, but slow. I then tried H.264/AAC in MP4 and it stops after 3 seconds (which is when the slowdown kicks in for the MP4/AC3).

Seems odd, but these files were muxed in Graphedit using Haali, so perhaps the splitter did something funky, or muxing was weird. I couldn't mux it in MP4Box because it said that it did not have a H.264 startcode or something along those lines, which is an error I've had with all Bluray H.264 encodes I've come across so far (but seeing as they are samples, perhaps they haven't been split properly). Perhaps "no startcode" is the reason for the hit and miss playback, but I'd have expected it not to play it back at all without a startcode.

Also, I've now hooked up with RGB Scart and it's a world of difference.

Edit:
Hahaha, I just downloaded one of those DivX test CD's and I find that this player supports external SRT, SAMI and SSA softsubs.

Just tagging a bit more on; here are some random MP4 fansubs I downloaded. These work perfectly with the player.
[SHS-FoSu] Kateikyoushi Hitman Reborn - 16 [BA0F1E4A].​mp4
Lucky Star - 05 [WiND](h264)[4468BFFF].​mp4
[Arienai]Yes​_Pretty​_Cure​_5​_-​_12[1280x720][7a2351b3].​mp4

Also as far as I can see, Pretty Cure is a level 4.2/5.0 encode (most likely due to reference frames pushing up the DPB size) and the player still handles it fine. Sweet. I guess one of the main reasons they only say it's level 4.0 is due to the max bitrate, that is if it fails on one attribute, it gets the nearest level it's fully capable of.

Last edited by Zero1; 2007-06-12 at 01:24. Reason: Added bit on softsubs
Zero1 is offline   Reply With Quote