View Single Post
Old 2007-07-23, 10:42   Link #57
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
As a very avid fan of LUCKY*STAR, Kinny.... sadly I have to disagree.
Just because its KyofrickingAni does not make me okay with the saturation of Haruhi references into Lucky*Star. I've been a big fan of their past work, but imagine for a second if Kanon2006 had been buried under Haruhi references. What do you think the "fanboys" would have done (besides have a bipolar breakdown)?
I love Haruhi... if I want to see Haruhi, I'll watch Haruhi. I'd like to see Lucky*Star. Much of the series I've gotten Lucky*Star but the Haruhi seems to be moving closer and closer to derailing the series.

When the refs are integrated and subtle, its fine --- when I wonder which series I'm watching, I'm disappointed.
Very disappointed to hear you of all people to say that, mate. But I kind of expected it, and I have to disagree with some of what you say.

Maybe I am having a bipolar disorder? But you'd be mistaken to dismiss me as one of them "fanatics" just because I'm staunchly "pro-Kyo-Ani's LS". (Though I must be open-minded and remind myself to be careful of dismissing any critical opinion as "mindless bashing". )

Kanon 2006 being buried under Haruhi references is of course unacceptable, no arguments there. However, Kanon 2006 is a carefully crafted serious story with no room for such parodies, so I'm sorry to say your example isn't exactly a suitable one.

Maybe if they stuck it in another comedy series, then I agree your point could be valid.

Lucky Star, the koma-manga being originally full of self-referential jokes about the otaku culture, means these parodies fit in without being, what's the word, "instantly rejected" by the "genes" of the show. (Yes, I'm comparing stuffing these parodies to implanting donar organs. They'll definitely get rejected by serious shows like Kanon, but not so by parody-comedies like LS. )

I will concede though, that if they do any more Haruhi-overload next week, then it really is "OK enough" for me. But I do not once believe Kyo-Ani will overdo their Haruhi-ness and cause the show to end in disaster.