Thread: Visiting Japan
View Single Post
Old 2009-10-09, 09:11   Link #643
Ricksterlau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
First question, are you Asian?
Secondly, that Maccy D fails, cause even 5 years ago before I even blink when I go to the counter there, they flip the menu on the counter on the English side so I can point xD
- I can imagine the complaints some gaijin would give if there was 'no' english support at Maccy Ds of all places.
And we all know that 'okyaku-sama wa kami desu'
(The customer is god)
- But yes, not just for Japan, but its always good practice to learn basic phrases for any country you visit to help you get on. Locals appreciate it and tend to help out just that little bit more, Japan is no different. It relaxes them as well as impress them if they see struggling gaijin trying to speak but they sincerely appreciate it, so do go get some basics down before you leave in Feb.
1). Yes I am. British-Born Chinese to be precise. Does it make a difference?
2). Unfortunately not all McDonalds have English menus as I have encountered in different parts of Tokyo. But for your information we went there just to take a rest and maybe have a lick at an ice-cream cone, not for a meal.

Could you define, in your terms, what basic phrases are? Because basic phrases to me are no way adequate enough to order dishes which are specific to individual restuarants in Tokyo. However, in the end, it's not a big deal. We hand-gestured, they laughed, we pointed, they understood and we got the dishes we ordered. But they do deserve all the credit as I've never seen a community so polite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashi View Post
In terms of accomadation. Is there anything specific i should look out for? I have a friend who recommended me a hostel and another firend who told me hotel. Big price difference, but i guess there's also the factor of personal washrooms etc. i'll have a look at this sunroute hotel though are there any others you might recommend?
Like I said before, hotels will always be the more expensive option. Inns on the other hand are slightly cheaper. Obviously hotels provide better facilities but they vary from one to another, so you'll have to do some research. My preference was always to stay in a hotel, the cheapest one, in one of the central areas. I couldn't find one cheaper than Sunroute in Shinjuku. Hope that helps
Ricksterlau is offline   Reply With Quote