View Single Post
Old 2012-04-24, 15:45   Link #39
Kirarakim

Most of my favorites have already been named

But anyways

Ginko Mushishi- I just have a thing for traveling characters. I think Ginko is a representation of what I wish I could do with my life: no ties just traveling the world. Not to mention I love Ginko's laid back attitude and the way that he doesn't see things as black & white but tries to help humans deal with the supernatural beings of the mushi without seeing them as evil or things that need to be destroyed.

Medicine Seller Mononoke- Another traveler, to describe the Medicine Seller I would say he is anime's equivalent to the wanderer without a name or past. He reminds me a bit of Toshiro Mifune's role in Yojimbo/Sanjuro or Clint Eastwood's role in his many Westerns.

Part of me wanted to know more about the Medicine Seller's past but I realized in the end his mysterious aura (is he even human?) is what made him such a great character, not to mention the wonderful acting by Sakurai.

Takashi Natsume Natsume Yuujinchou- Many characters have sad pasts but in most cases those sad pasts are why these characters initially act like jerks or have dark sides, etc. Natsume is the exact opposite of this despite a hard past he is overflowing with kindness. His fight with himself to grow close to others despite being scared at times is really a lovely story in itself.

And another thing I love about Natsume is I feel he transcends gender roles: he isn't physically strong just strong of heart, he's extremely nurting, and he is even allowed to cry. So on the surface he might seem a bit ordinary but under the surface is a character with so much depth.

Edward & Alphonse Elric Fullmetal Alchemist (Manga & Brotherhood ONLY)

I really cannot separate the two brothers in my heart. Fullmetal Alchemist is probably my favorite story ever and I initially fell in love with the story because of how close these two were (there is nothing like brotherly love) but what makes Ed & Al two of my favorites characters is how they didn't just show love for each other as the story went on they learned to love and be thankful to so many other characters around them. As Ed said at one point he wants to not only see Al's smiling face but everyone's. And I guess it's the fact that throughout the story they never gives up on their dream to get their bodies back but also the fact that they weren't willing to sacrifice anyone else to achieve this dream.

Some honorable mentions: Kenshin, Monkey D. Luffy, & Takemoto Yuta (the last from Honey & Clover because I think the first two are obvious).

Last edited by Kirarakim; 2012-04-24 at 18:07.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote