View Single Post
Old 2012-11-24, 19:26   Link #52
CJ_Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
There's every indication that simply breaking minor rules (like, you know, not cheating at sports ) gets you the death penalty in this world. So I don't think it would take all that much to get labeled a "karma demon" by the people who oversee this village.

So just because the village overseers are saying that Shun has gone "to the dark side" doesn't mean he actually has.
Oh right! I forgot about that, ok now its making more sense, It could be that because of the safety measures of the fillage, they have actually forced the karma demon thing on shun although they didnt really mean to. . .kinda like a reverse placebo, effect.

so its not that shun just suddenly turned evil, but more the societty's pushing against him instead ofhelping him combined with all the crap the vilage elders do normally + the info dump slug could have made shun break(although the smart thing would have been to just lay low untill he was an adult, and become part of the ethics committee, find out the truth, and try to change things from there blahblahSpinzakblablahblah

It still seems weird, but thinking about what the village does to their children for 1)not having enouh cantus talent(feeding that little girl to the cats) 2)cheating at the werid game(even though the teacher should have just disqualified the cheaters instead of...killing them #whathefu*kshowsomemoderationpleaseassholes etc. . .it makes sense, that the village.society itself creates the karma demons, and they pretty much have to develop the means to contain it. . .

Also now that I think about it, that's probably what the author is saying as a theme for the stuff that happened in the old civilazation too, that because the societies were oppressive then, that the pk people were created, and started killing people etc etc end of the world yadda yadda.

So I guess that's what Shun's purpose is in the story. . .which is kinda sad cause I like that guy. . .but damn, this is turning into some crazy horror/social commentary stuff here.