View Single Post
Old 2013-12-08, 12:56   Link #9109
Feng Lengshun
Old Wine

Rule one of successful businesses: First impression matters (and subsequent impressions to). Just having a bad first impression is already a big mistake. Especially in entertainment business and especially in a book which doesn't have cool visuals like a movie or anime. Really, really depends on how good can it keep the readers seated.

Also, the fact is that a lot of the characters are plain unlikeable at first glance. If I hadn't been a big mythology lover with a relatively good knowledge of them and had watched the anime, I would totally have dropped it.

Actually, in that sense, I would say that the anime, as a show, was quite good. It was actually quite cool. Sure, as an adaptation it wasn't a good one, but when a lot of people watches the anime before then reading the novel, and a lot of them stopped reading it due to first impressions, it tells something about them. Can't blame them though, "you can't judge a book by its cover..." but you can build expectation and build impressions from it. And when the expectation is great while the actual thing is just "so-so", well...
Feng Lengshun is offline   Reply With Quote