Thread: Crunchyroll Nichijou
View Single Post
Old 2011-06-22, 11:41   Link #998
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

I find it amazing how, through the great majority of Nichijou, I'm able to keep a straight face not unlike those of Mai and Mio in episode 8:

Spoiler for picture:

I don't even have to make an effort not to laugh or smile. For the most part, Nichijou is not funny. This is a hit-or-miss comedy, but the few times it has a spark of humor are far outnumbered by the apathetic moments. Why is the humor alone so important to me? Because there is no character development. I really can't give much of a darn about who does what; the characters are simply presented doing random things and there is no attempt to give any exposition. Without a proper focus on characters, the only thing that can hold Nichijou up is its humor, which is sadly vacuous.

There have been several times in Nichijou when a character (usually Yukko) tries to elicit a humorous or shocked reaction, gets nothing, and complains about it. Supposedly I should be laughing at somebody whining that they didn't get the correct reaction, and how the situation is 'not playing according to cliche'.

Imagine you're part of the audience for a stand-up comedy. The comedian walks up onto the stage and says "Do you ever wonder why the chicken crossed the road? ..... To get to the other side!". Nobody laughs. After a few awkward seconds, the comedian says, "Wait, that wasn't funny? You're supposed to laugh! W-Why won't you laugh??" Then he collapses on his knees and cries like a baby. A situation like this is not funny. It's sad, it's pitiful, and it's pathetic.

The funniest parts in Nichijou usually involve a lot of dynamic action and animation, like the chase in episode 2. I can thank Kyoto Animation for this; I highly doubt these scenes were as wacky and exhilarating in the original manga format.

Other merits in this show include the creativity behind it. While I can talk about how unfunny Nichijou is, I can't deny how original it can be. A cat suddenly talking due to a magical scarf, the principal of the school suplexing a deer, Nano's toe being a USB drive, these are just some of the things that make this anime special.

Not to mention that the production quality of this show is top-notch. Kyoto Animation continues to amaze with their vibrant animation that truly makes the setting and characters alive. The OP and ED are amazing, especially the relaxing and sweet ED which almost makes me forget about how dull the episode actually was. It's a pity that Kyoto Animation chose Nichijou out of all the manga to adapt. Hopefully we'll see them produce something better in the near future.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote