View Single Post
Old 2012-04-20, 11:06   Link #8069
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
No, the manga has been ranking horribly for the latest arc, worst since pre-Kumagawa....

Going down the livejournal WSJ rankings page...

2nd Last
3rd Last
Color Page for Anime
Color Page/Cover for Anime
8th Last
2nd Last
Color Page
7th last
Color Page
4th last
4th last
4th last
Color Page
5th last

The barrage of color page promotion to help promote the anime is just a mirage, it has been ranking horribly, especially compared to the arc prior to it. The manga is safe though, especially with the anime airing and Bakuman finishing up.. but Nisio would want to reverse this trend.. especially if the manga tanks don't lift... they have been static in growth for a long time now... though considering that the anime is looking like a non-factor...
Regarding the volume sales though, actually, I just recently caught something I thought was pretty interesting. Going off the first/second-week sales for the tankoubons I thought Medaka Box's volume sales have been static around 150,000-175,000 for a while now. However, figures released in conjunction with the announcement of the anime put Medaka Box's total sales at 3 million+, across (at the time of the announcement) a total 12 volumes. On average, then, it looks like Medaka Box's volume sales are now sitting at about 250,000 per volume. I think that's pretty respectable for right now, although Nishio is definitely trailing a lot of the other medium-range "hits" in Jump.

It's too bad that the anime really is currently looking so shitty that it won't even lead to a rise in volume sales...the sales of other Jump series which have gotten adaptations seem to practically double in general, by comparison. I do think it is basically down to Nishio improving the manga itself now for further growth of the series...honestly I think it could really use less shitty romance between Medaka and Zen.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote