View Single Post
Old 2012-10-13, 23:31   Link #1338
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Yep, that is correct sir.
Okay, that makes more sense. Well, I won't deny that many of us don't like him. I can explain my reasons why he bothers me personally.

1. He seems like a Republican more suited to a centrist style of governing, which isn't what many would exactly describe the current GOP atmosphere as.

2. He contradicts himself too much. He's for something, then against it. I don't mind, and actually think it's a good thing, that people rethink their views, but this isn't rethinking. It's more like he'll say whatever it takes to get elected.

3. He appears incredibly out of touch with people who don't make what he does. The 10,000 bet scene, and the seriousness of it, really struck me as a "wow" moment. That's more than a lot of people make in half a year. Is it bad he has a lot of money? Not exactly, but he's had similar moments, like complaining about free cookies, mentioning he's got an elevator for his garage, and how he likes to fire people. None of them are big by themselves, but they add up to an image that is very unappealing to me. It shows a lack of tact, like his PBS comment. 47%.

4. His economic plans are not mathematically possible. He may as well have said "let's build a moon base", because they're about as outlandish.

5. His foreign policy is murky, and watching Ryan trying to explain them Thursday scared the crap out of me. Diplomacy is just not as cut and dry as some might think (anyone who has had a manager or customer service job knows this), especially given the waning influence of the US as a unilateral power. It's easy to say "Iran must not have nukes", but it's much harder to craft policies to do that, especially ones that do not involve yet another war burden for the country.

6. Paul Ryan's plan, among other GOP plans, which Romney endorses, would obliterate the last bits of social safety net we have in the country. In regards to healthcare, I personally believe it is a right, and that profit should never be generated by taking care of the sick. I firmly believe in a single payer system, and I firmly believe privatization of anything health related is a recipe for disaster. Romney advocates full privatization of the system, and I believe that is the wrong direction to take.

Those are just a few of the reasons I do not think Romney is good for the country. I could delve into specifics, for example his energy and economic policies, but the post would be incredibly long, although I will elaborate if people want. The reason I think Obama is the better candidate is not that he is an amazing President, but that he has created an element of stability. Giving the GOP the reigns so soon after what they have done in the past, especially on the promise that they'll change so much so quickly, just isn't something I agree with at all.

So in short, I'm not expecting miracles with Obama, and the hope and change feeling is definitely gone, but if the Republicans want me to reconsider my vote they'd have to do much better than Romney. Truth is he's not there because he's a good leader, he's there because the field was so terrible the "powers that be" had no choice but to cram him down the voters throats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7
Joe Biden did the same, pretending to be very emotional well telling an emotional account.
Not exactly. He always has a hard time talking about his family. Here he is from the 2008 debate:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Notice Palin blows right past it.