View Single Post
Old 2009-06-08, 05:36   Link #49
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
I say its almost a certainty that if they go with set classes they will have customization options within the class similar to WoW or old school D&D (I really need another example game.. um The Witcher?) that will let the player follow a path they like though. But maybe they'll have some little innovative way to improve class customization which wont rape the balance of the game as a whole. (Un)fortunately (depending on your POV) 'talent trees' for classes in MMO's seem to have become all the rage these days - blame WoW? True sandbox games are just too hard to balance and don't inspire variety (which is a bit of a paradox really when you think about it).

Anyway I'm sure they have come up with a method that incorporates aspects of their previous successes into an MMO mold to allow for some level of individuality between players. It just hasn't been explained/revealed properly yet.
From what interviews have revealed so far, it seems that they are going to implement something similar to KotoR, in that skills don't relate to combat alone. In one of the interviews about the smuggler class, it was described that you could be the Lando style pretty boy who can talk himself out of problems if you build your character right, or you could go for the brawler type who makes his way out with his blaster. But as the dev put it "Don't expect that pickup line to work as well then"

Now this is very vague, but this does seem like they're mixing the feat system and the skill system into a new system that focuses on both in combat and out of combat elements of the game. I can't wait to hear more details on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
Have to disagree with that, most MMO gamers belong in the same cloud irregardless of settings. There will be some level of subscription cannibalism involved whenever a new major MMO comes out.

I think the bigger difference of community are between the monthly fee sub paying ones and the Free to play + microtransaction ones. Bridging the two communities would probably help bring in more subscription than just staying within the monthly fee model.
I'm going to have to disagree with your disagreement. While I do agree that there will be some level of cannibalism, the main reason WoW became such a smashing hit was not because it cannibalized of other MMO's, but because it drew in an enormous clout of people who had never played MMO's before.

I imagine TOR will have a similar effect, though not of the same scale as WoW did, because there are a lot of sci-fi fans out there who simply aren't interested in fantasy MMO's. Just look at EVE, which despite being a relatively unknown game manages to truck along just fine on the few sci-fi fans that know of its existence.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote