Thread: Crunchyroll Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko
View Single Post
Old 2013-04-15, 05:18   Link #267
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
I am not really that convinced that our MC has PR skills initially, to be honest. Perhaps it's the lack of confidence that undermines that informed trait. Perhaps, it's also because the character design reminds me of a certain trap from Minami-ke.

Now, if the MC was designed in a more Shojou protagonist manner, I think, ironically, his pre-curse self would be more credible. And I think this anime would be even better regarded - cliche Shojou protagonist loses his inhibitions to a enchanted cat statue, and ends up behaving like a particular variant of a Harem protagonist, rather than a Beta herbivore who screams Harem protagonist in mannerism and deed from the get-go.
First, what do you mean by "convinced" and "PR" skills? I'm guessing "PR" was a word chosen by certain translators for "Tatemae" (was CR using this?). I personally think that it is an acceptable translation but still might be misinterpreted (though I would believe that the context should drastically lessen the chance of that happening).

'Tatemae', where one does not speak his true voice/thoughts, is pretty much a characteristic trait of Japanese and in fact a valued etiquette. Which means practically all Japanese practice it, to one degree or another. Surprisingly,I found that there is actually an English wiki article on it after looking it up in ja wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honne_and_tatemae. So how is it hard to believe that he doesn't have PR skills (Tatemae)?

Though this episode merely illustrates the MC unable to decline becoming the successor to the T&F team's captainship (maybe the steel bar has some effect too of course ), I would presume the LN might have other anecdotes or monologue on how Tatemae is causing him problems in his life to give a better picture.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
*dons glasses*
I'm guessing it's something resulting from translation issues. While 'PR skills' can be attributed as 'tatemae', it's not strictly that. The 'tatemae' and 'honne' concept can be simplified as "the mask(tatemae) and the real face(honne) behind it'. In a cruder way, it's about 'lies' and 'honesty'.

Yokodera seemed to burst out lies and excuses almost instinctively to avoid problems and it worked, brilliantly . What I initially found unconvincing though, was why he thought he needed to get rid of this 'tatemae' in order to get closer to girls. I mean, RL pimps strive on their 'tatemae' to score in a partner, among other tools in their disposal.

Though, I can guess the reason being however impure his thoughts are, Yokodera still wants any relationship he has to be a pure one. Purely perverted relationship with consent from both parties
I wonder about this too, but I'm guessing that some critical info has been cut out from the novel......
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote