View Single Post
Old 2008-11-11, 00:41   Link #2052
ronin myael
lost ronin

Actually, I’m really talking about the sharingan and the byakugan. I’m just comparing it based on two of the most prolific users of both bloodline limits, Sasuke and Neji.

So far, we only know of four sharingan users: Kakashi – who acquired the ability through Uchiha Obito and therefore could only use it through one eye, and not as efficiently as those who naturally possess it; Itachi – who had proven to be one of the strongest sharingan users, if not the strongest; Sasuke – a natural tensai just like his brother Itachi and his sensei Kakashi, and is expected to carry the bloodline limit into the next generation, and Madara – who possesses a sharingan that allowed him to become immortal. We may know very few sharingan users but among these four we were given enough information regarding this accursed bloodline limit. We know its strengths and weaknesses. We know that continuous use of the mangekyou sharingan causes damage to its user’s vision, which is a major drawback. But we also understand that it’s an ability not to be messed with.

As for the byakugan, we only know of three: Neji’s uncle – their clan leader and perhaps the strongest among them apart from Neji; Hinata – who is not known to possess the natural talent for it, and of course Neji – the tensai and the Hyuuga clan’s most talented byakugan user. But among the three, there’s not much we know about this bloodline limit except that it has a near 360-degree-vision with blind spots that enemies could take advantage of. We also know that it is famously known, envied and feared by other clans just like the sharingan. Neji’s father had to die because another clan wanted to steal its secrets. After all these years we still know very little about byakugan, so basically it’s an ability that has yet to lift its veil of secrecy.

Over the years the two bloodline limits are repeatedly compared. Every time someone speaks of the byakugan, almost always the sharingan is brought up as well. The sharingan was even said to be a “product” of byakugan, and the Hyuuga clan have been known to claim that the Uchiha are related to them because of this. But despite these comparisons, we have yet to see an actual battle between byakugan and sharingan users, so we really have no idea how these two bloodline limits match up against each other. We were given a teaser when Kishimoto introduced the idea of a rivalry between Sasuke and Neji. Like any avid Naruto fan, I waited and grew excited for a possible match up between the two. But sadly, it wasn’t to be. Personally, I would just like to see that match up happen. What could be a better way to show how byakugan and sharingan fare against each other than a Sasuke-Neji showdown? It doesn’t matter who wins because not all battles are won by skills and talents anyway, luck also comes into play. But a duel between the two characters would allow us to see how a byakugan user fights against the sharingan.

As for those who doubt whether Neji could even be in the same level as Sasuke, when Kakashi first laid eyes on Neji’s abilities during the Chuunin exams, he said that Neji’s tenketsu is no match for his sharingan. His vision is nowhere near as accurate as that of the boy. He also said that Neji and Sasuke are in different levels, if they were to fight right then and there, Sasuke would be of no match to him. I believe he made that comparison knowing that Neji is the strongest member under Team Gai and Sasuke was the strongest in his. But that was years ago, Sasuke had obviously surpassed most of his peers. I have a nagging suspicion that even Kakashi would be of no match to him now. But like I said in my previous posts, we would never know for sure until it happens. The sharingan has some glaring weaknesses and so does Sasuke, as powerful as he is now. I’m just curious as to how his sharingan fares with that of Neji’s byakugan, and we all know that Neji is no pushover either and in fact, a tensai like him.
ronin myael is offline   Reply With Quote