Thread: Arafat's dead.
View Single Post
Old 2004-11-12, 16:38   Link #44
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thMethuselah
I think if Israel would withdraw it's troops and if they stop the retaliations with tanks and bulldozers, the real problems would be

1. Jerusalem : and solving this one is even harder, I see no easy solution to be honest
2. The economic situation of the Palestinian Territories : even if they are completely independent they have little or no natural resources of any kind, so this new independent state would be in a deep economic crisis real fast, this would ultimately lead to an unstable situation. And if you have a rich neighbour with whom you had decades of conflict, compared to your poverty, the possibility exists that extremist in the Palestine Territories will blame israel and the whole crap will start all over again.

A true solution would have to include rebuilding the Palestinian Economy in my opinion.

PS thx NSW
Yes, both those are huge problems. About jerusalem, any plan that would be acceptable to one side, would be unacceptable to the other The only solution that could be even somewhat acceptable to both sides is to make it an independent city state with no restrictions on either side's populations visiting any of their holy sites. However, since both want to make it their capital, this plan would probably be rejected too.
As for the economic crisis that would develop, ideally, the israelis should put up some financial aid, but most likely they'd say screw them, why should we help the people that were killing us. Other islamic nations would probably also do little, saying they got their country back and should stop complaining. The US would also probably take a screw you approach, but still send a little money. The vast majority of the resources for rebuilding would probably come from Europe, but there's the possibility that they'd say it's the israeli's problem and not do much either. In short the palestinians would probably be largely on their own, but it still wouldn't be an impossible task, just almost impossible...
Actually, the best solution I can think of would be for the palestinians to give up on their ideas of an independent homeland and instead work toward israeli citizenship. Of course that would be completely unacceptable to both sides, but it does have the best outcome that I can see.
Personally I don't see why that land is considered holy. I mean if it really was, wouldn't it somehow be better? It's sad to think about all those lives lost over the centuries for land that, for the most part, is little more than a barren wasteland, just because important religious leaders happened to be born there.