View Single Post
Old 2012-06-17, 20:34   Link #10
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classified Info View Post
i guess i misused the word "empathy", because i actually meant subbing in the protagonist, impersonate myself in the character, like it was me who lived the story. I clearly can't do it if it's a girl. I agree that i can comprehend how a girl feels when something happens, but the main issue is that i want to approach the anime in first person, like "Oh a bad thing happened to me, i feel...", and not from a third point of view, like "Oh, a bad thing happened to her, she surely feels bad, i comprehend it". I hope you get what i mean. If you don't, let me know and i'll further elaborate this point.
Well, I'm not sure that you did misuse the term... but I still can't quite relate to what you're saying on an emotional level. At a basic level, what's so different about being a girl? When a bad thing happens to a female character, I do feel bad, even though I'm a guy, and not just in an abstract "look at that bad thing that's happening to her" sense. Being a guy makes no difference in this regard, at least to me. So to me, the thing that I can't comprehend, oddly enough, is this gender barrier. It's like you're saying "absent a male perspective in the narrative, I can only perceive female characters as abstract objects"... and I honestly find that completely perplexing. I don't think it's that you've explained it poorly though... I just can't relate to that at all. I guess it's just a difference in perspective.