View Single Post
Old 2012-08-28, 21:04   Link #254
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
I have no beef with killing animals (I love me some beef burgers). But our civilizations only came into existence when we finally sat down and decided that we can't kill other people whenever we like. That killing another human being is sinful. Our entire system of ethics is based on the idea that killing another human as being the ultimate sin.

So if you're in danger of being killed by your natural environment, sure do whatever you like. But in affairs of humanity, there is no justification for the intentional taking of human life. Our society is sophisticated enough today that we have many means for self defence that does not require it. Being that killing is the ultimate wrong, then our society should ban any instruments whose sole use and purpose is to kill. We should ban guns.

If you can claim another reason to keep a gun, say you need to defend against bears, sure you can have your rifle. But any other use solely entails the eventual killing of human beings. No man should be given the right to kill another human being unless he is solely directed to do so by the law. No man should have the power to take the life of another. To do so is Hubris.
If that was the case, there would be no wars. However, as we can quite plainly see, our race is not so advanced. There is always something that causes us to war against each other for the last 10,000 years or more. Humans killing humans for greed, lust, property, resources, or religion. It trickles own to the individual level. As long as we have vices, wants, and desired that we cannot have but someone is willing to take...than the "victim" realistically needs a way to defend themselves from the "predator".