View Single Post
Old 2004-10-05, 03:31   Link #179
bluemist
i am the mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
Hard core maniacs are suckers. We know it ourselves. They know it all too well too. But then, what the softhouses are doing is nothing more than following basic Japanese marketing strategy that had developed since the 1970s - milking money out of people who will buy them (I believe that the American anime distributor ADVFilms is practically following this marketing strategy from what I have been reading on this board for the past year or so).

What is happening here is that instead of "having your favorite game being imported onto the console game that you own," it is more like "when your favorite ero-game is imported, you HAVE to buy all of them"
Very crazy indeed! Softhouses haven't heard of that other great technology called 'expansion packs'. Yea, they feel the need to repackage the same game and just add itty bitty extras and still make it sell, instead of upgrades to the existing game.

Because I liked the anime Da Capo I researched about the game, then I find out it was not just 'one game'. I have seen a hell lot of titles with DC on it (DCPS, DCPC, DCWS, DCSV). I have tried DCPC myself (DCPC = Da Capo + new characters), and I can tell a 'late Da Capo fan' will be lucky because (tell me if I'm wrong because I'm not Japanese) there is an option to play the original game without the new characters on it. It's like having the original DC as well.

And then milking further in terms of remakes (Leaf Visual Novel Series?) and sequels (what's with Memories Off/Pia Carrot 3.xx numbers?) and spinoffs (Akane Maniax) and fandiscs (too many to mention).

kj1980: Thanks for that interesting ero-game history and look-back by the way!