View Single Post
Old 2010-03-09, 13:26   Link #377
keri
ねぇ、知ってる?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisofrime View Post
To put it in simple physics terms, Haruhi is able to violate the Conservation of Energy/Mass principle, by creating matter/energy from nothing.

The IDTE on the other hand can only convert existing matter into other forms.
Thank you for putting it in those terms. That was how I'd been thinking of it, but had been unable to come up with the right words to articulate it to myself. I feel like a great weight has been lifted, because now I can go "aha, physics conservation laws!" and not have to do an hour of mental circumlocutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksassin View Post
So, that means IDTE can erase someone from existence and replace it using the same data?
Right. It's like, in a way, http://www.fancyfastfood.com or using the pieces from one mosaic to create a completely different picture/pattern, for two very general and broad and not entirely accurate examples, since data can change form, too. Kind of like turning a pair of blue jeans into a sheet of paper, except the IDTE wouldn't need all the in between steps or extra things like water or paste. Or, actually, I forget how jeans get made into paper besides shredding them and using a window screen and water, it's been ages since we did that in elementary school.