Thread: Licensed Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora
View Single Post
Old 2007-03-06, 13:53   Link #951
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Whether he has suffered enough or not, in order to redeem himself he has to do something, something for someone else sake. Up to this point he has never done anything for others sake, and you can not disagree with me about that.
So basically you want him to throw himself in front of a bus or do some other similar dangerous act of self-sacrifice in order to save someone before he redeems himself. Ignoring the large probability that this is likely to happen in the next few episodes anyway, I still think you've made the mistake of categorizing his character into mere good-or-evil and if he's not one, then by elimination he must be the other. That's a huge over simplification of his character. Obviously the picture is clear now with hindsight, but up until this point he hasn't been motivated by any negative or selfish motivations... he thought the AAs were a power that had to be sealed from humanity and he thought he'd been sent on a mission to accomplish that by his deceased brother whom he cherished. He admittedly may have been blinded by his idealism, but he could have no possible way of knowing that his ideals were as flawed as they were. Which is why I understand his actions and sympathize with him. As others have said, he was never "evil"... just misguided. And it's not like he didn't grapple with the idea that what he was doing may have been wrong after he started developing feelings for Kuu.

But there's a lot of grey in this series, Kyoshiro's character being a prime example, which is one of the series' strengths. If you try to view this series through a black-and-white-only lens, you oversimplify the situation and the characters and miss those grey areas that the series intends to explore. Fair enough if you don't like him. But it's unfair to his character if you categorize him as a "bad guy". It's more complex than that.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote