Thread: Licensed CLANNAD the Movie
View Single Post
Old 2010-12-17, 12:32   Link #417
DasDingus
Dango Daikaizoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJCrew View Post
Nope, sorry, that was Ushio. If AS didn't have Ushio, S1 would definitely be better.
Episodes 17-21 of After Story were as much about Tomoya struggling with his regret about meeting Nagisa as anything. Ushio was merely a physical representation of his relationship with Nagisa. When Tomoya rejected Ushio and the Furukawa family it was his way of saying he wishes he never met Nagisa. He regretted all the pain he was going through due to his loss and pushed away everything that represented it.

His acceptance of Ushio was also his acceptance of everything he had gained during his time with Nagisa and his acceptance of his loss. He accepted Ushio and reconciled with his father both to avoid making the same mistakes his father made but also to allow Nagisa's legacy to live on. At the end of episode 18 we see Tomoya and Ushio facing Nagisa with Tomoya's voice over saying "Nagisa I found it. I finally found it. Something only I can protect. The precious thing only I can protect. It was right here." We see here that Tomoya's actions were influenced very much by Nagisa. It's his way of saying "I wasn't able to protect you, but I will continue to protect Ushio because that's what you would have wanted." Then in episode 22 Tomoya is rewarded for having the strength to accept his loss and not regretting meeting Nagisa on the hill by having her restored to him by Ushio through the light orbs.

My point is that, despite not being alive at the time, Nagisa was as important a character as Tomoya or Ushio or anyone else during those episodes of After Story.