Thread: Licensed Tari Tari
View Single Post
Old 2012-08-14, 21:59   Link #1014
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Sorry I must not have communicated what I was trying to say well enough, so I'll relaborate.

I am fine with character drama, but the character drama has to have a sort of focus. Like the stuff with the vice principle and Wakana's mom, Konatsu and her little drama with the original choir group, Wakana's issues and her resolve to complete her mother's song... This drama accentuates the main topic of the show, the choir club.

The reason I think the drama needs a focus, and I'll repeat, is because they don't got a lot of time to wrap this story up. We're now 6 episodes in, basically almost half or just about through the run of this show and presumably next episode will be taken up by more Sawa drama. While it might be nice story and all, which I actually thought there were just some general execution issues in this episode so I don't, it does not exactly help us in getting to the finish line from our initial setup.

There is still so much more to explore with the idea of the choir club and I fear we won't receive the satisfactory conclusion to this story if we keep up with these "character drama arcs." Especially since it raises the issue that now to balance out the development they'll have to develop the guys properly. If they don't this is blatantly unbalanced writing. But if they do would they have time to wrap this up even? I don't think so. So almost a damned if they do damned if they don't situation.

This isn't even a K-ON! issue for me, I'm not expecting Tari Tari to have choir sequences every episode or something. Also, K-ON's issues for me were not solely limited to what I considered false advertising, I just though it was bad at what it even did attempt to do, but probably best to not derail this thread with that .

And btw, an example of a show that took something that seemed relatively uninteresting and made it exciting with excellent characters and balanced development was Chihayafuru. They definitely could do it here, no excuses.

@Sphire

My point was that we haven't even finished up their character arcs, and we're delving into even more of them in a show that doesn't have the time to give this much attention to every character if they their dramas are totally unrelated to the choir club. At this pace we may be heading for either an unsatisfactory rushed ending or a show where the males get shafted yet again with imbalanced writing and a kinda irrelvant character arc for Sawa.

Of course Tari Tari can prove me wrong, but that's why I am worried.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote