View Single Post
Old 2013-03-23, 23:54   Link #32
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

What I find really amusing about these comparisons of their ending is that they essentially were the same ending in both shows. The society in both PP and SSY did not get toppled. Both Akane and Saki chose to operate within the system instead of staging a revolt. The bad guy in both series dies, albeit for understand philosophical reasons.

So why the massive difference in assessment between the two endings? I find it incredibly befuddling to say the least .

Anyhow, I don't know which is the better series or not. I think they both played around with very interesting concepts and settings. They both ended in fairly logical manners with no bullshit pulled off. Psycho-Pass is an overall much more consistent show, but SSY had more episodes that simply blew me away at times. SSY episodes seemed quite brisk all throughout, but so did Psycho Pass which really felt like popcorn entertainment at times.

Both really great series, and I don't see any good in trying to put one on a pedestal over the other. I think they're both worth watching and this sort of competition between the two is a rather silly one IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Psycho-Pass fell apart for me the moment it was revealed to be a world controlled by a room full of brains in jars. Like Dawnstorm, I felt that the premise doomed the entire story. Unlike in SSY, where one could see that people had not much choice but to live with their rules, in Psycho-Pass, the system was so vile that it was no longer ethically challenging to reject it completely.
This is the one reason why I don't consider the series more outstanding. However, I've been trying to reconcile with this in many ways. For one thing, the people in Sibyl are noted to be criminal asymptomatic, but only few were said to be as vile as Makishima. Another consideration is that while the people who are ruling Sibyl appear treacherous, their decision making has clearly created a more "peaceful" society. I personally would have preferred a system in which the brains were not just all a bunch of sociopathic individuals, but the result is still the same. The concept of free will in the story being more important than cold hard justice is still there. Overall the main themes are still held in tact, so I don't really agree with the idea that this was a ground breaker for Psycho-Pass.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote