View Single Post
Old 2006-05-11, 06:35   Link #24
kari-no-sugata

Title: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Rating: A+ (EX really. It's so good it makes you happy to be alive)
Episodes Viewed: 1-6
Great characters, great story, great animation, great music. I suggest re-watching ep 1 after watching ep 2.

Title: Ouran Host Club
Rating: B+ to A
I like the manga a lot, and often find TV anime versions of manga I like painful to watch. But for the most part, this is a conversion done right. The story has an odd premise - an interesting and different "commoner" main character, in an insanely luxurious school for rich kids ends up in the "Host Club" - a group of bored pretty boys who entertain the bored rich girls. Good whacky humour and easy to follow. Based on a shoujo manga that's pretty much angst free - it works!

Title: Utawarerumono
Rating: B
A rather unusual story in a fantasy setting. The main character is cool, calm and collected, despite having lost his memories. He makes for an interestingly real leader. The plot moves along quickly - the world the character live in has already changed significantly, and by their own efforts.

Title: Black Lagoon
Episodes Viewed: 1-5
In some ways, it's a bit like how modern pirates would be if done by Hollywood. But the characters work together nicely, as does the action.

Title: Princess Princess
The basic plot is rather weird and almost disturbing, but I figured I'd at least give the first episode a go. So far, it's mostly a character based school comedy, and so far I have been enjoying it because of the main characters. I'm not sure if it'll keep it up though.

Title: The Third ~Aoi Hitomi no Shoujo~
Rating: mostly B
Episodes Viewed: 1-3
The main character is interesting and a bit different (though the butt of too many jokes really) and the AI tank is interesting too. The world setting isn't too bad, but the people seem strangely too happy and cheerful, and the gags don't really seem to fit in. Looks like it might get better as time goes on though.

Title: xxxHolic
A good conversion of the manga, but they seem to be ignoring the tie-in the manga has to Tsubasa Chronicle.

Title: High School Girls
Rating: C
Episodes Viewed: 1-4
I liked the manga, but I just can't find the anime as fun and "real", so I stopped watching. I have no problem with the basic premise (how girls go downhill without boys to show off to) but the anime seems to want to turn the characters into wall to wall idiots and not much else.

Title: Inukami!
Rating: D
Episodes Viewed: 1
I downloaded the first ep, but skipped through most of it. The basic concept sounded okay, but it's not enjoyable for me at all.

Title: Air Gear
The manga is okay, but the anime hasn't improved things.

Title: Saiunkoku Monogatari
Rating: C to B
Might have been another Juuni Kokki (12 Kingdoms) but doesn't come close in practice. The main character is pretty good but the others don't seem to have any real originality, and the plot isn't engaging enough, so I've stopped watching.

Title: Nishi No Yoki Majo
Episodes Viewed: 1-2
I like fantasy, but I just couldn't find the characters or story interesting, so stopped watching.

Title: Kiba
Rating: C-D
Maybe I'm too old to like something like this, but couldn't find anything interesting or innovative about the story or characters, so stopped watching.

Title: Strawberry Panic!
No problem with the basic premise, but again, I just can't find the characters or plot interesting enough to follow.

Title: Garasu no Kantai
Rating: C-D
Has some of the more bizzare/original visuals and settings... but it doesn't really work and the characters and plot aren't interesting enough.

Title: Witchblade

Title: Simoun

Title: Ray the animation
kari-no-sugata is offline   Reply With Quote