View Single Post
Old 2012-12-01, 19:17   Link #75
Tsukou

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I wouldn't say that this "diversion" is any more "pointless" than the arc itself, to be honest. This "romance" was doomed to fail just as much as our arc villain is doomed to be brought down. If you eliminate the one "pointless diversion" you're just left with the other, and it's not as if Kirito chasing after Asuna is all that compelling on its own (I mean, not the relationship, but the overall circumstance they find themselves in).

That may seem like a knock on the show, but if your engagement is limited by whether or not the destination is foreseen, I'm not sure there's much to this whole story arc. I think you have to enjoy the journey. I thought the journey of Suguha's feelings and how it wove through the story was fairly-well realized for what it is, even if a bit more of it came together at the end of this episode than might have otherwise. I also don't think this is the end of her journey either -- now that her feelings are out, she has to decide what to do next. This too isn't so unpredictable, but we'll still see how she is able to stand herself back up again. That's really the emotional core of this arc: Suguha learns to accept her doomed feelings for Kazuto and move forward, as he remains fixated on his one true love. I'd say she's really more the focal point than he is, to be honest.
I find myself agreeing with your point of view quite a bit in previous episode discussions, and would like to add that I don't understand people's dislike of harems where you know what the author is intending. Heartbreak isn't the end of the world, and in most cases I see it as a way for characters to grow in the future. Reading the first page of comments makes me feel like when a girl gets her heartbroken, she becomes useless, which is ridiculous. You can't measure a character's worth based on failures and successes.

And like you said, it's about the journey. Obviously everyone here knows in the end Kirito will defeat everyone who gets in his way, and eventually meet up with Asuna and she'll probably wake up, and it'll be happily ever after. We've probably known that ever since we saw Kirito walk out of the hospital. That doesn't make the series any more or less enjoyable. People need to just sit back and enjoy the ride, and even tho we know Suguha gets dumped, doesn't stop her from being a good character. I actually really enjoyed the end of this episode where she's pouring out her feelings, and thought it was well scripted. Despite myself being sad for her position, I still enjoyed watching it. I feel like anyone who didn't like Suguha, didn't like her because they knew she wouldn't succeed, and I feel like that's such a poor criteria, because I felt like she's a good character. Sure the romance is cliched, but honestly can you not say the Asuna romance wasn't cliched either? Doesn't stop it from being good. And when she talks about how she was glad when Kirito woke up from SAO and how he began to treat her nicely again, it puts pieces as to why she likes him.

Well that's enough from me, just think people should enjoy the show for what it presents, and not try to force it into a little box of preconceived notions.
Tsukou is offline   Reply With Quote