View Single Post
Old 2013-01-24, 21:58   Link #7108
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansker View Post
They do have names, Lily give them all names.

But for some reason part of me is thinking the names are something like: One, Two, etc.

Aside from the Section Six people the guys of the TSAB have always appear as useless Red-Shirts since the first season. I believe only in A’s they did something good and even then only because they were like 20 against 2 and they didn’t fight just hold them in place until all of the,. Full grow men, could let two 9 years old girls do the job. How can this people get jobs?
Well, rule of drama. You're not allowed to do anything unless you're a main character which isn't a problem specific to only this. It's why stormtroopers are the best in the galaxy and can't hit a slow moving trashcan. But this is just in the perspective of our heroes, relatively speaking.

When done right, it's supposed to show that the situation is truly serious business and only the best and brightest can handle the situation. Star Trek, the show where redshirt gets its name for, sometimes does this quite well though it also has some awful use of it too. Why is it that mission teams in Star Trek involve most of the command officers, even though that is utterly unsafe? We are allowed to hold our suspension of belief for the sake of drama. A good example is when Nanoha just went off to fight Fate and bypassed security. It's pretty stupid that 2 kids can just compromise the TSAB's security like that, but at the very least it's for the sake of drama and some excitement, even if it's silly. It is for the sake of storytelling. If the TSAB had dealt with everything, and Nanoha and Yuno were largely perephial, then logic would demand many important things happen off screen, and well, that's not exciting to view.

When done wrong, it feels like the series is unable to come up with a credible conflict with tension and a way to artificially push both our heroes and enemies into credibility-- making both look ridiculous. And when you discredit certain characters or groups too much to the point of where failing becomes a forgone conclusion, it gets quite bad. One of the worst examples is probably when Vita was pierced a cliffhanger, since the chances of anything coming out of that was nil. At that point I was already like "Nope, not even a chance she'll die"

It's funny that you bring up limiters above since to me that was an inability to come up with a proper, meaningful conflict. Yes, there's stuff at stake. Our heroes are getting pwned and thrown around. We're supposed to feel tension, like there will be consequences abound. Aka, giving a shit.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2013-01-24 at 22:11.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote