View Single Post
Old 2004-07-20, 03:25   Link #21
Cz
Needs more sleep~

Here's what I use to record songs with Creative Sound Blaster hardware and software. You need:
1) Creative Recorder software
2) Sound Blaster card with "What You Hear" recording control (or other cards with equivalent feature under different names)
3) Microphone & speakers (personally I prefer a headset/mic )
4) Audio player, eg. Winamp.

Here are the steps:
  • Double-click on volume control icon in Windows system tray (or open it from Control Panel)
  • In the volume control:
    • Make sure Options -> Advanced Controls is checked.
    • Go to Options -> Properties, select "Recording", check "What U Hear" below, if not checked. Click OK.
    • In Recording Control, check the "Select" box below the volume slider for "What U Hear". **
    • Go to Options -> Properties, select "Playback", check "Play Control", "Wave/MP3", and "Microphone" below, if not checked. Click OK.
    • Make sure the "Mute" boxes below the three categories above are not checked.
    • Since Options -> Advanced Controls have been checked, there should be an Advanced button under Microphone. Click on it and check "Microphone +20dB Boost" or else your voice might be too soft.
    • Adjust volumes as needed. **
  • Start up Creative Recorder.
    • Click on "ARVL" in the display and make sure it's enabled. That is the Automatic Recording Volume Limiter that compensates for loud input if necessary.
    • Change the "Record from" box so that it reads "What U Hear". That is where you will record from. Basically what you hear on your speakers/headset is what you will record, ie. your voice from the mic and the background music from an audio player.
    • Adjust the "Recording Level". **
    • The volume slider is the playback volume. I set it to maximum (to the right).
  • Start up your audio player (like Winamp).
    • Load the song you want to sing (instrumental/karaoke version preferred).
    • Adjust volume on the player to about 50% (so your voice will be louder than the music).
  • To begin recording:
    • Bring Creative Recorder and your audio player up on the screen near each other without overlapping.
    • Click on Creative Recorder so that it is in focus.
    • Get your mic & headphones (headset preferred) ready.
    • Position mouse cursor on Play button on audio player.
    • Press CTRL+R (keyboard shortcut for Creative Recorder) to begin recording.
    • Immediately after that, click on the Play button on your audio player.
    • Sing!!
  • When song is done:
    • Stop the recording.
    • Choose name to save it as.
    • Find file (default: C:\Program Files\Creative\Recorder\Recordings) and play it back.
    • If satisfied, encode into your favorite format (mp3, ogg, etc).

** You need to experiment with volume controls a bit. My personal settings:

Recording:
"What you hear": between line 2 and 3
Microphone : full, with +20db boost

Playback:
Play control : full
Wave/MP3 : middle (or 50% in winamp)
Microphone : middle (or around 4th line) with +20db boost

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well there you have it, a simple guide that worked for me. With different software and hardware or versions I cannot guarantee that the instructions will work. I am using Sound Blaster Live! Value on a Windows XP computer with Winamp 2.91 and Creative Recorder 2.00.31.

Disclaimer: I take no responsibility for impaired hearing, broken glass/speakers/headphones and other negative consequences resulting in the attempt to follow these instructions without using common sense or good judgement (in case I missed something).
Cz is offline   Reply With Quote