View Single Post
Old 2012-02-09, 10:12   Link #36
xMythycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
I was mostly aiming at the Big Three with this comment (Bleach, Naruto, One Piece), and seeing you are willing to pass over Tsubasa Chronicles because of it lacking a closure, I'm quite sure the suggestion wasn't misplaced. These forever-running anime/manga series are like the very antithesis of the word "closure", they are pretty much being stretched out and designed around a philosophy of how not to end. If most stories have a specific destination in mind, these are more focused on being stuck somewhere along the way.

That is not to say that a very long show can't be a good one, but there is a difference between a long show and a neverending show. If you are anything like me and like your stories to have a sense of finality ... well, these multiple hundred episode monsters will overstay their welcome, at which point you will be left with countless hours spent on something that you feel didn't accomplish anything, because there was no closure to be had, or in sight. (/Weeps at 270-something episodes wasted on Bleach).

Similarly, if lack of overarching closure is a significant issue for you, choosing to steer clear of shows based on ongoing mangas (such as Blue Exorcist, for a recent example) - while these tend to offer local closures to the immediate final arc of the show, globally things won't be resolved - because they are leaving the anime open for potential sequels if the show sells good enough, as there is always more manga to animate. Though I suppose one can never be too sure about this before trying and experiencing first-hand how big of an issue it feels like.
I guess you really explained this very nicely because now that I think about it, I was already experiencing this while watching Bleach. I was looking for a good point in the story to stop watching for a while, but no matter how long I watched, one didn't come. I guess (even though I will eventually give it a try) for now I will not watch them.
I actually had something similar while watching Pandora Hearts which I really liked, but the end was just not satisfactory enough which I really disliked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
I know this wasn't aimed at me, but I'll take the chance to barge in and say that Baccano was, in my opinion, a great show. Confusing at times and with one hell of a hectic and eccentric cast, but it managed to tell a quite compelling drama/mystery beneath all the surface craziness.
It really wasn't aimed at anyone specifically (although I admit it wasn't all too clear...).
Actually sounds like a really nice and fun anime to watch.

On a side note, would you agree with DonQuigleone on not watching Higurashi until I've got some more "experience", because it sounds like a really cool anime.

Add my 3DS: 2793 - 1012 - 8861