Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2010-03-17, 14:37   Link #6583
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
When I talk about HSR (and I assume that applies for that particular project too) I mean this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fe...FB%C3%B6gl.jpg

Which is a little more expensive and needed, because in contrast to middle european climate, the tracks in central asia have to compensate temperature differences of over 100°C (-40°C winter to 80+°C summer). At 60°C there is a force of 1500 kN (reference temperature would be 20°C). Since HSR relies very much on highly accurate track, it must be build like in the picture (basically full concrete with rails) - especially when the temperature differences are expected to be very high (typical for continental desserts/steppes).
And where is the major problem in having to use those? Remember that in building a railway network the rails themselves are merely the topping. Even multiplying their cost several times would still involve a marginal rise in the total price, compared to the colossal cost of boring tunnels, building bridges, high rises and even the foundation of a steppe levee. And they can very well be manufactured in large series thousand of kilometer away.

Quote:
You are underestimating these regions in terms of strain on HSR installments (the sand/dust alone can become a serious problem - which would require a banking on each side of the track to provide some protection against drifting sand).
Turkey and Iran are already building HSR in the 200-300 km/h range, yet they have to face harsh mountain, plateau and desert environment (wouldn't day/night desert temperature differences be a more significant source of wear than seasonal differences?), so I suppose those difficulties are well understood, and anyway would be less of and issue on high traffic lines, as they imply regular maintenance (in this regard, please consider HSR in Southern Europe also, which can be plenty dusty with considerable day/night temperature contrast in summer).
Quote:
If I am not mistaken none of these countries except China build such tracks yet?
Iran is expanding, modernizing, doubling and electrifying it's network.

Europe-India connection is being implemented, although more slowly than the rest, but notice the article conclusion, in year 2008:

Quote:
Meanwhile, as we reported last month, Iran is investing heavily in upgrading and expanding its rail network, and Turkey’s railways are developing rapidly.
Speaking of Turkey, they have completed the Bosphorus Tunnel, with commercial service is expected in 1 or 2 years, also they already have HSR lines, and are expanding and modernizing their network.

So that's two keys countries on the way, which are already clearing major geographical obstacles.