View Single Post
Old 2010-05-12, 05:02   Link #33
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamarco View Post
One thing to point out is that R2 releases are a lot more expensive. From what I heard they only get 2 episodes per DVD and the prices per DVD are a lot more than what we pay for 3-4 episodes per DVD. I could be wrong, but I remember reading a ton of ANN articles and other articles about R2 releases being released in this manner.
R2J is anywhere between $15-$30/episode on average. Some go even higher. R1 buyers pay at most $6/episode for singles and something like $4 an episode for box sets. (And people bitch about $2/episode.)

Quote:
However, I think the dub fanbase offline is pretty big. I'd wager a majority of collectors offline only care about dubs. I can't prove that though, so this is all my opinion. I don't know any numbers, so I'm not sure how big of an impact that would have if the US industry would fail.
It's a very good hypothesis based on the old stats. Unfortunately, nobody has released any new stats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
The Japanese market is in serious trouble too (due to a combination of fans buying less and the increasingly insular nature of the market. Broadening the market again has proven to be extremely tricky). Companies like TV Tokyo wouldn't be so quick to embrace overseas streaming if they believed their industry were self-sustainable.
TV Tokyo wasn't quick at all to embrace streaming. It took them years to get their act together. Gonzo was the first given that they were desperate and Kadokawa was one of the few who realized the possible potential early. Japanese companies realize that they need to adapt to new technology and at the same time refuse to take the step forward until they see someone else do it first. Also, it should be noted that Kadokawa was pulling in their revenue through flagging fan produced, not the shows themselves, Youtube content as "allowed by copyright holder for ad revenue sharing".

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
Personally, I'm fine with the DVD prices on Amazon Japan. It hurts my pocket a fair bit, but to me, it's fair given how much it actually costs to produce an anime
But amazon Japan is heavily* discounted compared to the anime shops which rely on the store specific bonuses.

*A 20% discount in Japan is a heavy discount for new DVDs.

Last edited by bayoab; 2010-05-12 at 05:14.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote